Wednesday 20 October 2010

Woolworths bans Christian Magazines

Wow. You should see the reaction over Woolworths’ decision not to stock Christian magazines any longer. See News24 Article.

Personally I do not buy them. I once bought the Christian-endorsed magazine “Intiem” which proved to be quite risqué in terms of its target market. I was surprised by the quality of content, topics of discussion etc.
However... although I find most South African Christian Magazines a trifle boring, just as I find the Cosmopolitan, Huisgenoot, You and GQ boring, there is in essence nothing wrong with them. They are aimed at a specific target market and are enjoyed by many.

Getting to my point... I, J. Hardspear de la Azotea think it is very hypocritical of Woolworths doing this and calling it a “business decision”. Woolworths started unpacking Christmas stuff in their stores on the 30th OF SEPTEMBER ALREADY! They are always and forever welcoming their Jewish Customers during Rosh Hashanah, Hindu Customers during Diwali, Muslim Customers during Ramadan, etc. They stock Halaal and Kosher products, but they serve Mammon! (Stop me, I am starting to sound like a manic street preacher!)

I wish I had more backbone to join the Woolies boycott, but I am dreaming of Butter-Caramel filled Mini Swiss Rolls. Maybe I am as much of a goody-goody-two-shoe as they are...

6 comments:

BioniKat said...

They can do what they like with their stock, magazines or otherwise. I generally boycott Woolworth because of their extremely exhorbitant prices. If I buy one item a year at Woolies its a lot. For people that are concerned about this, I would say that if they take away the Christian magazines they should make sure they take all religious magazines away just as they plan to do.

Unknown said...

Hi Momcat. Agreed. I am always amazed when people buy trolley loads of groceries at woolworths, when they can get the same schtuff cheaper elsewere. Nice to get a treat there once in a blue moon however...
I must admit, I've never seen any religious mags other than the Christian ones at Woolworths for that matter...

Tamara said...

I buy lots of my fruit and veg (mainly apples, bananas, squash, carrots etc) at Woolies because it lasts longer than the stuff you can get at Checkers or Fruit & Veg city. That said, I won't shell out for their figs or avos because the price is just insane.

Honestly, I think it's a silly move by Woolies. But I think some of the reactions have been much sillier.

Unknown said...

Quite Tamara, Quite.

Julia said...

I wish I could be strong enough to boycott them too. But I could not live without those cupcakes. Ever.
And I must agree with Tamara. Some of the reactions were just silly!

AngelConradie said...

Well, I kinda get why they're doing it. If they sell the Christian magazines, they have to sell magazines owned and run by other faiths as well.
I shop for their fresh produce because its hard to find the same quality elsewhere. You get what you pay for.